Can You Be a Web Designer and Developer

 Can You Be a Designer and Developer?

All of these differences seem to imply that designers and developers are two very different jobs or roles.


But they don’t have to be.


You can be a designer and developer at the same time. More people are beginning to label themselves in this way and it is becoming an in-demand skill-set. Design and development are converging for a number of people and even for designers who never considered learning development and vice versa.


I am even one of those people. A bit of a personal story:



I came up as a designer working in print design. I had no idea how websites worked or why, nor did I consider building them.


That all changed a few years ago when I realized that websites could and should be just as beautiful as printed things. And I would be more valuable as a worker and more satisfied in my job if I could learn both skills.


So I started learning to code. I won’t admit to knowing a lot about code. I do know enough to be dangerous.


But I can talk to developers and understand the language. It has made it easier for me to work with developers on projects and hopefully it has made developers appreciate working with a designer who gets where they are coming from.


Now just think if I had learned design and development simultaneously like many of the people just starting their careers.


So … the answer is yes. You can be both a designer and developer. You will probably always be better at one, but your goal should be to have some aptitude in each.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Web Designer Skills In The Workplace

DESIGNER